Thursday, September 29, 2011

Come to the Darkside...We have Cookies

My cousin's wedding was coming up and I wanted to do something extra special for him. It was actually a special wedding for myself. This was the first wedding in almost 10 weddings over the course of 1 year that I didn't have a role in. I wasn't bring desserts, I wasn't the maid of honor, I wasn't a bridesmaid. I was hell bent on enjoying myself fully at this wedding. 

My cousin and I were really close as kids. His dad brought him to all the UCLA football games with my family and so we played together a lot. We also had a love for similar movies. Our parents took us to the first weekend of Back to the Future, let us watch Star Wars, and Indiana Jones. We would reenact our favorite scenes and have a good laugh. 


I got these last Christmas from my sister and I had yet to bust them out, so perfect! I went to Williams and Sonoma to buy the Bride and Groom their own set and then set out to work to make a batch for them. 
Preheat oven to 350 Degrees.

Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
Whisk together flour, coco powder, espresso powder, and salt. Set aside.
Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. (Forgot to snap a picture of this part.) Beat in egg and vanilla till well combined. In three additions, add your flour mixture at low speed. Work in food coloring (black) with your hands till desired shade. (That part was a huge pain in the ass. Maybe it was just because it was black versus red or pink). 
Roll out dough on a lightly flour/coco dusted surface. Cut out cookies and freeze for 5 minutes. Bake for 8 minutes. Allow cookies to cool before removing.
My hubby surprised me with preordering the new Star Wars Blu Ray! Had to get some pictures of that.
Vinylmation Yoda wanted to get in on this too.






Darth Vader Chocolate Cookies

Adapted from Bake at 350 & Amandeleine

Ingredients

  • 2 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup dutch-process cocoa (natural is OK, too)
  • 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
  • 1 cup unsalted butter
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • black gel food colouring

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
  2. Whisk together the flour,cocoa, espresso powder and salt; set aside.
  3. Cream together the butter and sugar until light an fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla until well combined.
  4. In 3 additions, add the flour mixture at low speed. Scrape down sides and bottom of bowl as needed.
  5. Work in food colouring with your hands to desired darkness. Depending on your cocoa you may need more or less. Refrigerate dough for 30 minutes.
  6. Roll the dough on a lightly floured and cocoa-ed surface. (mix the flour and cocoa together and use it like you would with straight flour to roll out cookies)
  7. Cut the cookies with Darth Vader cutter.
  8. Freeze cut cookies five minutes.
  9. Bake 8 minutes. Let cool completely.


No comments: